Known for its tourist appeal, Annecy is a city of the Haute-Savoie that attracts for its charm and its incredible heritage. Located at the foot of the mountains, from its lake you can enjoy the alpine landscape. Its crystal-clear waters make it an ideal place to relax and escape, whether in winter or summer. But it is also possible to enjoy its aquatic jewels outside the lake. Rafting is a good way to discover the beauty of the area, being more than 450 meters high.
As rafting is not possible on the lake of Annecy, we propose you some alternatives to be able to do this activity near this city. Come and discover the surroundings of the small Venice of the Alps in a different way during a fantastic activity that will please everyone!
Where to go rafting near Annecy?
On different rivers such as the Isère, the Dranse, the Giffre or the Doron. Each river will offer you different feelings and experience. That's why we suggest you several spots to find the one that best suits you!
• Centron leisure center: Located at less than one hour and ten minutes away from Annecy Lake, you will have fun on the Isère river. There is something for everyone with more or less intense, steep and quiet stretch. For example, you can explore the Centron Gorges. It is the wildest part of the river, but also the most famous. It is a must for families and those who want to live a first experience in rafting. You can also discover the section of the Doron de Bozol, known as the most intense course in the Alps. You can also make an adventure between these two rapids for multiplied feelings!
• The rafting base of Bourg-Saint Maurice: Take a route of more than 11 miles (18 km) in sections classified from 3 to 4. It is one of the longest rafting trips you can do near Annecy. You will start your trip on calm currents, which will allow you to get into shape. Then, you move on to a second part which is a bit more sportive. Here, you will be able to practice your navigation skills! You will discover the famous Aime rapids and the Centron gorges towards the end.
• Sixt-Fer-à-Cheval: Go for a 4 miles (7 km) descent on the Giffre. On the program, good mood and strong feelings in pleasant rapids accessible to all for a moment of pure pleasure. Whether you are with family or friends, you will appreciate this part of the river for the landscapes it offers. Between green forests and limestone mountains, you won’t even know where to look! At the end, you reach the beautiful high mountain village of Verchaix, where you will come back to yourself and immerse yourself in its calm and peaceful atmosphere.
• The nautical base of Aime la Plage: There, you will have the possibility to have fun on the Isère or the Doron de Bozel. On one hand, it will be relaxation and discovery on the most beautiful river of the Alps, on the other hand, the discovery of the Centron gorges will leave you speechless with its Aime rapids and its portions with evocative names: "the ham slicer" or "the dessert". In the heart of the Tarentaise Valley, winding passages and exciting currents await you. For the more indecisive, you will also have the possibility of crossing both rivers during the same trip! What a way to mix adventure and pleasure!
• Thonon-les-Bains: One hour from Annecy, you will have fun on the Dranse during 3 miles (5 km). In a green, pleasant and family environment, you can have fun with your family or friends. It is an essential spot for rafting trips in the French Alps.
What are the different options for doing a descent??
You will be surprised by the wide variety of offers available. Depending on your level, you will be able to choose the rafting trip that best suits you. Each river has more or less difficult sections. The current, the width of the bank and the swell are factors to take into account when classifying a river. For example, on the Angon, there are already sections that are ideal for "discovering" or "improving", depending on what you feel like! Consequently, the levels of difficulty on the same river can change. Thus, it is possible that you will navigate a downstream section of a river that is calmer, while its upper stretch of water is usually more agitated.
Thus, beginners can have fun on the Isère, as it is accessible from the age of eight. It is known for being calm and therefore perfect for all levels. For the more adventurous, you can choose the Doron River, a tributary of the left bank of the Isère, for a good dose of adrenaline!
From the base of Angon, you will have the possibility to do these activities in After-work in summer. Perfect for a moment of calm and relaxation after a day's work, it's also a great way to get away from the hustle and bustle of summer evenings!
Who can do this activity?
The centers will welcome you from the age of eight. Some rivers and courses are designed for older children. This is the case of the Doron, considered to be the largest river in the area. For example, trips on the Isère from the base of Centron are authorized for ages eight and above. From Bourg Saint Maurice, it will be from the age of 12. There are no maximum age restrictions. It will be necessary to know how to swim and dive for a few seconds. A good physical condition will also be necessary.
What to wear the day of the experience?
The centers are open every day from April-May to June. Indeed, the practice of this sport requires enough amount of water allowed by the thaw.
For this reason, you will be asked to wear swimming costime and sports shoes. They will take care of the rest. No need to worry about wetsuits, helmets, paddles or even life jackets.
Located on the edge of the Bauges and Aravis mountains, the Venice of the Alps is the last town before the mountains. During the summer months, you will enjoy the peace of this beautiful town that will offer you unforgettable memories. This activity will certainly delight you, as it will allow you to escape and let yourself be amazed by the beauty of nature!